A big thank you from the Purple team
November 20, 2018
November 20, 2018
Wow. Amazing. Extraordinary. A few of the comments from the Purple Tuesday team as Purple Tuesday unfolded this time last week. Never in our wildest dreams did we expect to see so much activity – right across the UK – by so many people and their organisations (we had over 700 organisations register an interest, which attracted so much national and local media. The day brought together organisations, their staff, disabled people and their representative organisations in a common cause to increase the accessibility of the retail sector. This benefits disabled people (as customers and potential employees) and retailers accessing the Purple Pound.
The day was achieved through relentless hard work, determination, the involvement of committed partners and a little bit of luck and fortune along the way – the day sneaked in just before the Brexit deal was announced!
There are so many people to thank:
- All of you for the innovation, creativity and enthusiasm in turning your store, outlet, shopping centre and high street purple. The winners of the best social media picture, video and comment to follow shortly
- The Planning Group for their leadership, ownership and guidance throughout this year’s Purple Tuesday. And for gently bringing me back down to earth when some of my idea’s were stratospheric (and unrealistic!)
- Sam Sen, the Retail Sector Champion for her role in ensuring the day was aligned to the needs and aspirations of the retail sector
- Sarah Newton, the Minister of State for Disabled People, Health and Work for her relentless support and assistance in promoting Purple Tuesday as an independent initiative
- Matt Willatt for his design work of all resources and iconic image for the Piccadilly Lights
- Landsec for making Piccadilly Lights happen
- Antidote for their PR and comms advice and their work with Purple to secure such a wide range of national media. A special mention to Aimen Chouchane, who helped Purple initially to launch Purple Tuesday and contributed significantly to the original concept and materials
- We Are Fred for producing the training video, re-launching the purpletuesday.org.uk website and following me around all day on Purple Tuesday shooting film and taking photographs
The biggest thank you however is to all of you. We have always said Purple Tuesday is about bringing people together to raise awareness and instigate long term change, and as I looked through the social media, emails and messages coming through, it felt like that had been achieved.
I say the start of course because Purple Tuesday was never about one day. The biggest thank you of all will be to all of you for the delivering of your commitments over the next 12 months, and for pledging your support in making next years Purple Tuesday even bigger and better!
Mike Adams OBE